SPECIAL TUITION RATES
Catholic School Teachers, we have a special tuition rate that's just for you! Teachers in Catholic schools who enroll in LIS courses for the 2015-2016 academic year will receive a special tuition rate of $825 per credit. This rate is a 50% discount from the regular graduate tuition and an approximate 18% discount from the special LIS tuition of $1000 per credit.
NOTE: Besides the Catholic School Teacher special tuition rate listed above, the following information on this page describes special tuition rates available only to certain continuing students who started the program before the summer 2015 term, and are grandfathered into a previous discount program. These students must maintain continuous enrollment (spring and fall semesters, no leave of absence).
Library and Information Science has negotiated a reduced tuition rate for employees of certain public libraries, schools and organizations in the Washington, DC area (see list below) covering part-time study (3-6 credits). The special rate is equal to one half of the current fall on-campus, part-time tuition rate, regardless of whether the classes are on campus or off or when they are being taken. In other words, tuition for Summer and off-campus classes is the same as Fall on-campus classes for students receiving special tuition rate. Students who receive the special tuition rate are not eligible for Provost Scholarships. The tuition rate applies only to classes offered by LIS (CLSC or LSC).
Procedures for verifying employment
Effective for the Summer 2012 session, students who are eligible must have verification of their employment sent to LIS two weeks before the last add/drop date of each semester you wish the special tuition rate applied to. It is important that the employment verification be submitted directly from the student's H.R. department or Director. LIS will not accept employment verification from the student or another party. This verification should be submitted on letterhead and may be submitted either by mail (see address below) or by email. If it is sent by email it must be from the email account of the HR Department or Director. We will not be able to accept the employment verification by fax.
Organizations that have agreements with LIS for special tuition rates
- Washington Research Library Consortium (covering full-time employees)
Full time library employees at the following universities are covered:
- American University
- Howard University
- Gallaudet University
- George Mason University
- George Washington University
- Georgetown University
- Marymount University
- University of the District of Columbia
- Library of Congress (covering full-time regular employees)
- Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (covering part and full-time employees of county and city public libraries in the DC area)
- Alexandria Public Libraries
- Arlington Public Libraries
- City of Alexandria
- City of Bowie
- City of College Park
- City of Fairfax
- City of Falls Church
- City of Frederick
- City of Gaithersburg
- City of Greenbelt
- City of Manassas
- City of Manassas Park
- City of Rockville
- City of Takoma Park
- District of Columbia Libraries
- Fairfax County Libraries
- Falls Church Libraries
- Frederick County Libraries
- Loudoun County Libraries
- Montgomery County Libraries
- Prince George's County Libraries
- Prince William County Libraries
- Takoma Park Libraries
- Town of Bladensburg
- Catholic School Teacher's Tuition Waiver. This waiver covers one half of the tuition costs for full-time teachers, administrators, librarians and guidance counselors who are employed by a Catholic elementary or secondary school while studying at CUA.
Address to send employment verification to
Ms. Louise Gray, Program Coordinator – Student Affairs
Catholic University of America
Library and Information Science
620 Michigan Ave. NE - CSL-314
Washington, DC 20064
Provost Scholarships go to promising incoming students, and generally cover 25% of part-time tuition and 50% of full-time tuition. There is no need to apply for a Provost Scholarship, though to be eligible, Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores must be submitted regardless of whether the student needs them for admission to the school. Students who receive a Provost Scholarship are not eligible for any other discounted tuition rate from the University.
Students who entered the School Library Media course of study between Fall 2012 and Spring 2015 will be given financial support from the University comprising 50% of part time tuition. Eligibility for this tuition rate is contingent upon the following:
- Students identify themselves upon application as intending to follow the School Library Media course of study.
- Students may not switch to another course of study after beginning the program.
- Students who began the program prior to Fall 2012 or after Spring 2015 are not eligible for the discount.
- Students must be registered for part-time study. The tuition discount will not be applied to full-time study.
Student may not receive any other tuition discount from the University (i.e. Provost scholarships, discounted tuition through an employer).