HOWARD AND MATHILDE ROVELSTAD SCHOLARSHIP 2017-2018
The annual competition for the Howard and Mathilde Rovelstad Scholarship is now under way. ONE scholarship is available.
Students who have completed at least 6 credits in the LIS Master’s in Library and Information Science program by the end of the spring semester of 2017 are eligible to apply. The number of credits left to complete the program will be a factor in the committee’s decision; weighing in favor of candidates with the greater number of credits remaining in the program.
Application Documents (three in total)
1. A statement of achievements, career interests and goals. The statement must be no more than 750 words.
2. A detailed curriculum vitae. Applicants are encouraged to include volunteer activities, association memberships, attendance at professional conferences and workshops, and similar activities.
3. Contact information (email addresses, telephone numbers and affiliations) of two references that are willing to write letters of recommendation for the applicant. At least one of the references must be a full-time LIS faculty member. The Rovelstad Scholarship Committee will request letters of recommendation from references of those candidates selected for interviews.
Documents should be emailed to Jane Zhang, Assistant Professor, and Chair of the Scholarship Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All application documents must be received by the close of business on Tuesday, May 9, 2017.
Evaluation Criteria and Process
The Committee will base its decision on evaluation of the following:
- Academic achievement in the LIS program
- Demonstrated commitment to the profession as evidenced in course work, personal statement, curriculum vitae, and letters of recommendation
- Potential for success as evidenced in all application documents
- Indication of financial need
Interview: The Rovelstad Scholarship Committee will interview a small number of finalists before selecting the scholarship recipient. Applicants selected for interviews are expected to be available on the CUA campus on June 6th or June 7th.
- May 9: Deadline for submission of applications – all three documents must be received
- May 25: Notification of candidates selected for interviews
- June 6 or 7: Interviews
- June 15: Announcement of the winner
Contact for Questions
Please email any questions to the Scholarship Committee Chair, Jane Zhang, at email@example.com.
Rovelstad Scholarship Committee
Dr. Jane Zhang, Chair
Dr. Ingrid Hsieh-Yee
Dr. Deanna Marcum