About > Mission, Goals and Objectives
The Department of Library and Information Science aspires to be a center of excellence that transforms the roles of libraries and information professionals for the betterment of human society.
Through teaching, research, and service, the Department contributes to the creation and management of knowledge and information, preserves heritage and scholarship, and demonstrates our commitment to the common good. The Department of Library and Information Science produces information professionals imbued with the values of the library and information science profession, and the Department’s values of collaboration, community, innovation, and excellence. In accord with the mission of The Catholic University of America, the Department advances the dialogue between faith and reason and cultivates a commitment to service in the field of library and information science.
Stakeholders - We Serve:
- Students, by providing excellent education in the theory and practice of LIS, instilling the LIS and CUA core values of reason, faith and service, collaboration, community, innovation and excellence while preparing them for lifelong learning.
- The university, by collaborating with other academic units to educate students in all disciplines about information literacy, IT competency and research skills.
- The profession and the discipline, through interdisciplinary research and collaboration with practitioners in teaching and research.
- Employers and society, by producing innovative leaders who have high professional ethics, excellent knowledge of the theory and practice of LIS and technical expertise.
Goals - We Achieve Our Mission By:
- Educating highly competent, ethical librarians and other information professionals.
- Exploring and integrating innovative technology to enrich teaching, foster scholarship and advance professional practice.
- Strengthening the school by engaging in ongoing dialog to anticipate the changing needs of individuals, the community and global society.
- Advancing the frontiers of knowledge and practice in LIS.
- Serving the field, the community, the region and the world.
LIS Program Objectives
The LIS MSLS program develops graduates who:
- Are skilled in organizing, disseminating, managing and preserving information;
- Are skilled in the use of information technologies and articulate the role of information technology in facilitating information management;
- Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy, principles and legal and ethical responsibilities of the field;
- Are capable of serving information seekers in a global society;
- Appreciate education and service as integral to the role of the information professional in society;
- Interpret and apply research results from library and information science and related fields;
- Articulate the economic, political, cultural and social importance of the information profession;
- Are dedicated to professional growth, continuous learning and applying new knowledge to improve information systems and services to meet the needs of information users in society.