CUA LIS Advisory Board
The LIS Advisory Board provides strategic insight and expert guidance as part of LIS’s systematic efforts to continuously develop and improve our MSLIS program. The membership of the Board includes representatives from each of our constituency groups – alumni, students, adjuncts, employers, and full-time faculty – and reflects our diverse and ever-evolving community.
The overarching purpose of the LIS Advisory Board is to:
- Provide LIS with input on the current and future needs of the library and information science profession to ensure LIS is responsive to the continually evolving needs of the profession.
- Identify opportunities for LIS to meet the current and future needs of the LIS profession through its for-credit, non-credit, and extracurricular offerings.
- Recommend new initiatives, degree offerings or programs to continually improve, refresh, expand, or enhance the LIS program and its educational quality.
- Engage in long-term strategic planning by providing input and advice to LIS representatives related to its strategic planning initiatives.
- Provide advice, as appropriate, to LIS regarding key administrative areas, most notably enrollment, funding, and technology resources and support.
- Understand the history of LIS at the Catholic University of America and advise LIS on its efforts to advance its mission and the mission of the University.
- Advocate, as appropriate, for the LIS program and its students and faculty in a public capacity.
- Serve as a representative and liaison between LIS and the constituency groups its individual Board members represent.
- Recommend approaches for engaging and involving LIS’s internal and external constituents to realize LIS’s goals and strengthen LIS’s relationships with the field and within its community.
Interested in being considered for a seat on the LIS Advisory Board? If so, please email us two short paragraphs on you and what you'd bring to the board, and also attach your resume.
Young Choi, Associate Professor and Chair of the LIS Department
Danna Bell, Past-President of the Society of American Archivists
Nicholas Brown, CUA LIS Recent Graduate, Music Specialist, Library of Congress
Steve Connaghan, CUA LIS Alumnus and University Librarian, CUA Libraries
Ingrid Hsieh-Yee, CUA LIS Ordinary Professor
Marie Kaddell, Past-President of the Special Libraries Association’s DC Chapter and Senior Information Professional Consultant, LexisNexis
Martin Kalfatovic, CUA LIS Alumnus and Associate Director, Digital Services Division and Program Director, Biodiversity Heritage Library, Smithsonian Libraries
James King, CUA LIS Alumnus and Chief, Information Resources and Services Branch, National Institutes of Health
David Mao, CUA LIS Alumnus and Assistant Vice President of Administration at Georgetown University Law Center
Christopher Needham, CUA LIS Recent Graduate
Cristina Ramirez, CUA LIS Alumna and Adjunct Faculty, and Library Community Services Manager, Richmond Public Library
Board Meeting Materials
Board meeting agendas, presentations, and adopted minutes will be posted here as part of LIS’s systematic planning activities, which includes “communication of planning policies, programs, and processes, assessment activities, and results of assessment to program constituents.”